HMSA presents The Kapiʻolani Community College Health-E Fair
Tuesday, October 16, 2012
10:00 – 2:00
Great Lawn, Cafeteria, Kauila Building
Free & Open to the Public
Overflow parking at Cannon Club (Monsarrat Avenue)
- Radiologic Technician: Experience what it feels like to sit on a cold, hard x-ray table and get your foot x-rayed. Experience patient positioning and learn the answer to the question: How would having an x-ray feel if I had a broken foot?
- Exercise and Sport Science: How old are you? Well, there's how old you are and then there's how old you feel. One of the many benefits of regular physical activity and exercise is that you'll feel so much younger than you actually are. A few simple tests will help you answer the question: What is my fitness age?
- Nursing (Health Promotion): Prevention is a key to staying healthy. Promote your good health by learning signs and symptoms of potential illness such as high blood pressure, unhealthy weight, with current students in the nursing program’s health promotion course.
- Nursing (Mental Health): Don’t delay?-- learn about mental health?today! Your mental health affects how you feel about yourself and others. Learn about stress reduction, how to stop bullying, depression, suicide prevention and substance abuse from students currently enrolled in the nursing programs mental health/psychiatric nursing course.
- Nursing (Pediatrics): Are there children in your life? Stop by the demonstration, presented by current students in the nursing program’s pediatrics course, to learn how to keep children and youth safe as they grow.
- Massage Therapist: Want to know the trigger points in your body? Massage therapy students will show you where these points are. Receive a free massage on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Dental Assisting: How well do you take care of your teeth? Learn proper oral hygiene from students currently enrolled in the dental assisting program.
- Occupational Therapy Assistant: Do you wonder if you stand and sit properly? Take an ergonomic assessment and learn how to improve your posture and work habits from students currently enrolled in the occupational therapy assistant program.
- Medical Laboratory Technician: Have you ever wondered what a urinalysis test can tell you about your health? You can find out from students currently enrolled in the medical laboratory technician program.
- Medical Assisting: Receive a free cancer screening or Ishihara vision test, have your height and weight taken, and learn about the proper use of gloves, gowns and masks from students currently enrolled in the medical assisting program.
- Respiratory Care Practitioner: Do you ever think about taking your next breath, or is breathing an unconscious act that keeps you alive? Learn about asthma and the effects of second-hand smoke.
- Physical Therapist Assistant: How good is your balance? Learn about the use of wheelchairs, crutches, and walkers to prevent accidents and falls both for yourself and for those taking care of someone who is injured.
- Emergency Medical Services: Have you ever wanted to know how to give Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) or what First Aid you need to know in the event of injury? Students currently enrolled in the emergency medical services program provide half-hour demonstrations of CPR and the treatment procedures and instructions for First Aid.
- Emergency Medical Technician (EMT): Have you ever wanted to inspect an ambulance up close, but without an accident happening? At the Health-e Fair, students in the EMT program will provide a close look at a real ambulance, inside and out.
- Want to know more about the Kapi‘olani Community College health professional programs? While at the Health-E Fair, stop by the Counselors table, located in the Cafeteria, to speak directly with our counselors who can answer your questions -- whether they’re about general registration and scholarship information, a specific program, or the employment opportunities and support you will receive while at Kapi‘olani Community College.
Health Academic Programs at KCC